Only 0.3% (three tenths of one percent) of the Polish population are evangelical Christians, or Christians who believe in salvation through faith alone.
Even fewer of those are men.
Today’s church has hard time attracting men. Most members are women.
Whether we like it or not church is not a place where men like to frequent. Church appears feminine and out of touch.
Statistics say that converted men have much greater influence on society and families then women or children.
Female Converts are Left with Few Eligible Partners to Build Christian Families
Gospel Joy Workshops and Evangelism continues to see many saved through participation in workshops. Those who want to know more or grow in their faith are able to be a part of "Word Zone" meetings, which have grown into church plants.
The Gospel Joy Workshops are high energy, joyful events, proclaiming Jesus' goodness and grace to many who don't know Him.
Word Zone groups are opportunities for workshop participants to build lasting relationships, learn more and go deeper.
However, the percentages of women and men are skewed.
Believing Men Aren't Equipped to Lead or Impact
Even among Evangelical Christian men, we observe a struggle to take spiritual responsibility for their churches, families or communities. So many are trapped in chasing careers, money, pleasure or busyness.
So many men are trapped in chasing careers, money, pleasure or busyness.
photo credit: Sander van der Wel via photopin cc. Adjustments: Cropped.
The Decline of Christian Voices
Anti-Christian movements are uniting their efforts and impacting the culture, government and even legal system. While the enemy unites against us, Christian men are not united to impact today’s world.
Our voices go unheard as we focus more on our small churches than on having an actual impact in the entire country.
The Catholic church, a traditionally very strong presence in Poland, is seeing its male attendance fall, too. Other traditionally catholic countries in the European Union, Spain or Ireland for example, have already lost millions to atheism.
Poland is on exactly the same path. This is the time to act.
Solving the Problem Modeled on Successes in Other Demographics
Andrew Gorski has been the Director of Gospel Joy Workshops and Evangelism, a similar evangelistic movement with hundreds of evangelistic outreaches in the last 16 years. Men in Action is modeled on the success of Gospel Joy.
As Gospel Joy Workshop and Evangelism's Director he has successfully:
1. Formed, led and shepherded other leaders of discipleship groups for two years.
2. Overseen the planting of 4 churches (which grew from Word Zone groups) from 2011-2014.
3. Organized three conferences and several outreaches for men from 2012-2014 with encouraging yields of new believers.
Raising Hands at the Men's Conference.
Men's Conference Group Shot
Andrew and his team has come up with a plan to address this weakness in the church. It's called Men In Action.
Men in Action will use these strategies to reach and grow men for Christ:
1. Aggressive evangelism. Bring men to hear the gospel using fun, attractive, high-adrenaline, friendship-based outreaches.
2. Men's groups.
a. Evangelistic Groups. At the Evangelistic events, participants will be given the opportunity to join a follow up group. This model has been operating very successfully for several years in our Gospel Joy Workshops and Word Zone follow up.
b. Discipleship Groups. Groups oriented around bringing believing men to maturity and equipping them for leadership.
3. Strengthen Local Churches. Equipping local church leadership to put new believers in healthy evangelical environments.
4. Leadership. Heavy focus in Men's groups on growing people, preparing them to lead groups or any other ministries within local church or other men within this project.
5. Multiplication. Each new group’s goal will be to multiply, so in the process we’ll be constantly identifying and growing new leaders.
Over the initial two years, there will be:
- 6 evangelistic power gatherings
- 7 mercy, justice and community service opportunities
- 10 (minimum) paintball, football, BBQ and other activities tailored for men
- 4 spiritual survival weekends
- 2 summer camps for men and their sons
- 4 church leadership trainings
- men's group leadership (30 people) trainings
- regular meetings of 15 mens' groups.
Why This Initiative is So Vital to the Health of Poland's Evangelical Church
- The great need for this ministry means we will likely see results that can be duplicated all over Poland.
- The Church will be strengthened if even a few men make decisions for Christ at one of the many events.
- This program is designed to not only reach the unsaved but continually develop leaders and multiply.
- This plan is in the hands of an experienced leader, who has shown the ability to launch successful events and programs and see them to completion.
- This plan contains a powerful follow-through component, one that we've seen work successfully in Poland for many years now.
Summer Kelley is a writer who lives in Phoenix, Arizona with her husband and three kids. She has had the privilege of telling ITMI's stories since 2006. She loves to write uplifting stories of God's work overseas, read and learn about the world around her and enjoy her family.